Maintaining shoulder-length hair can be a challenge, but it’s definitely doable with the right tips and tricks. In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss everything from haircare to styling medium length hair. We will also provide tips on how to maintain your shoulder-length hairstyle in-between visits to the salon. So whether you’re just starting out with shoulder-length hair or you’ve been rocking it for a while, this guide is for you!
Is shoulder-length hair in for 2022?
The jury is still out on whether shoulder-length hair will be in or out for 2022. However, we think that shoulder-length hair is definitely a style that can be worn year-round. Whether you’re looking to add some extra volume or just want a change of pace, shoulder-length hair is definitely a versatile option.
Things To Consider Before Getting A Mid-length haircuts
If you’re looking to achieve that mid-length look, here’s what you should consider.
- Your hair type, whether you have fine hair or thick hair. Mid-length hairstyles typically suit most hair types allowing thin hair to appear thicker with the use of layers. Medium length haircuts also suit thicker hair as it eliminates dry and damaged ends.
- Your face shape, and shoulder-length haircuts allow long faces to look rounder. Asking your hairdresser for long layers, choppy layers or long bangs can frame your face more.
- Medium length hairstyles take longer to maintain. Whether you have naturally wavy hair or naturally straight hair, a shoulder-length bob is going to require more time. Acquiring the right heat tools to achieve soft waves or straight hair is essential to save time, at Charlie Taylor Salons we stock a range of GHD products for all your hair needs!
- However, you don’t know until you try it! Getting rid of that long hair can be tough but you save a lot of money by using fewer products. An easy way to transition into shorter hair is by asking for a long bob also known as a shoulder-length lob with layers to give your hair texture.
How to look after shoulder length hair:
Shampoo and conditioner:
When it comes to shoulder-length hair, you need to be careful not to overdo it on the shampooing. This can strip your hair of its natural oils and leave it feeling dry and brittle. Instead, opt for a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner combo. And be sure to condition your hair every time you shampoo it!
Deep conditioning treatment:
In addition to a good shampoo and conditioner, you should also invest in a deep conditioning treatment. This will help to replenish any lost moisture and keep your shoulder length hair healthy. Hair grows over half an inch each month, it is essential to keep this strong especially if you have damaged or thin hair.
How often should you go to the hairdresser?
If you’re wondering how often you should go to the hairdresser for a shoulder-length haircut, the answer is every six to eight weeks. This will help to keep your hair looking its best and prevent split ends from forming. We recommend booking your next appointment when leaving the salon to ensure you’re not left with an outgrown style.
How to style medium length hair
There are endless possibilities when it comes to styling shoulder-length hair. When using a flat iron for straight hair or a curling iron for wavy hair, it is essential to use heat protection to avoid damaging your hair. At Charlie Taylor Salons we stock GHD Bodyguard, heat protectant spray to ensure your luscious locks stay healthy.
How To Grow Your Hair Faster To Achieve A Medium Length Haircut
Growing your hair from a short bob to a long bob can take time however a few simple changes can promote healthier growth.
- Get a trim every six to eight weeks to get rid of split ends.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week.
- Invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner.
- Avoid heat styling tools as much as possible, when using them ensure to use a heat protector to avoid damage
- Let your hair air dry whenever possible.
- Handle your hair gently when wet and avoid rubbing it with a towel.
- Avoid using tight hairstyles that can put stress on your hair follicles.
- Products such as System Professional‘s LuxeOil can be used to repair and recondition your hair leaving your hair looking and feeling healthier.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be well on your way to achieving shoulder length
Shoulder-length hairstyles for women
A half up half down hairstyle is a great way to show off your new look! It gives you the best of both worlds, the layers work well to compliment your facial features. This style is practical for your new mid-length hair!
Using a GHD curling iron can provide you with bouncy curls or beach waves for your shoulder-length cut. Remember to use your GHD Bodyguard to protect your hair! This is a great style for any occasion, whether you’re going to work or out for drinks with friends.
Braids! French braids, fishtail braids, Dutch braids…the options are endless! Experiment with different types of braids to find what you like best.
If you’re looking for a hairstyle that is easy to maintain, then the classic shoulder-length bob is for you! This style can be worn straight or wavy and can be styled in a variety of ways. To style your bob, you can use a GHD straightener or curling iron to create the look you desire. The shoulder-length lob is a great choice for those who want to experiment with shorter hair but still have a good amount of hair length.
Ready to take the plunge and get rid of that long hair?
Book an appointment at a Charlie Taylor Salon and discuss this new haircut with our expert stylists. Charlie Taylor has beauty salons in Dundee and Perth. They can recommend exactly what cut will suit your face shape and compliment your facial features. Our stylists can assist you in choosing products for styling your new look and keeping your hair healthy!